Hardwood Floors and Cleaning 101
You LOVE the color and texture of your hardwood floors, not to mention that feel as you step across it. And when your wood floors are at their best, your rooms radiate class, warmth and long-term value.
Or, maybe you don’t even remember what your wood floors looked like at their best, and instead are staring at a dull, worn or scratched surface that does nothing but drive you nuts.
Hardwood floors continue to be a favorite among homeowners, particularly when it comes to resale value. They’re attractive, long-lasting, and filled with character and potential personalizations in finishes and stains.
But they do require maintenance.
Yes, most of us have read about (or gone through) the many steps of refinishing a hardwood floor. This is a once-in-a-blue-moon task that must be taken into consideration when buying a house or installing new wood flooring. But the real secret to your wood floor’s prime condition is in regular cleaning and maintenance. And that’s why we’ve composed this quick cheat sheet of must-consider tips to keep your own hardwood floors clean. These tips will lengthen the life of your floor, keep it beautiful, and allow you to enjoy and be proud of it every day of the year.
- Before you grab that mop, make sure your hardwood floors are protected and sealed. Did you move into a house with existing wood flooring? Or have you lived there for a while, and don’t remember the last time you had the floor sealed? The seal, wood type and finish will all determine if you can mop (and with how much of what product), so if you aren’t sure, ask a professional.
- Don’t use oils, waxes or furniture sprays on your wood flooring, even if it’s tempting to get that shine back. These all leave reside and turn your wood flooring into a skating rink. Your shoes will get sticky with these products as you trek by, and you’ll end up spreading the oils to the rest of your home.
- Foundation: Check for moisture in the foundation of your home along with any cracks that change in size (these could be inside or outside of the house).
- For regular maintenance, especially in high-traffic areas, sweep daily. Wipe up spills immediately. Show your flooring some love with regular buffing, too (or call us if you don’t have the time or elbow grease). We can professionally clean your hardwoods.
- When in doubt, call the experts. There is special equipment they can come prepared with for everything from making repairs to cleaning hardwood with dedicated, deep-clean machinery.
When the idea of refinishing your hardwood floors is too daunting, or if you recently did go through that and you want to preserve their renewed and gorgeous glow, follow these tips to show your floor some love and fill every room with lasting allure. We can set you up with an annual deep intensive clean or recoat every 3-5 years. There’s almost always a way to bring even a dull or fading floor back to life, too. Give us a call to learn more!